Research areas: My research is on the figure of the child in modern Spanish literature, culture and society.
My interest is in the investment adults make upon the figure of the child and, whenever it is possible, I also explore or speculate the ways in which the children themselves negotiate these expectations. My focus is mainly on the Franco dictatorship, but I also explore the legacy of the Regime upon post-dictatorship Spain. I have a specific interest in understanding the role of children in Catholic culture, namely children considered holy within Catholic culture and society.
Harvey, Jessamy, ‘The cult of the child-poet: interpreting Elsa Garcia Novo with reference to “L’Affaire Drouet”‘, Forum for Modern Language Studies 49 (2) (2013), 126-134. ISSN 0015-8518.
– ‘Miniature bride or little girl religious: first communion clothing in post-war Spanish culture and society.’ Girlhood Studies 5 (2) (2012), 84-102. ISSN 1938-8209.
– ‘Holy girl power locally and globally: the Marian visions of Garabandal (Spain)’, in Girlhood: A Global History. Series in Childhood Studies, ed. by Jennifer Helgren and Colleen Vasconcellos (Biggleswade, UK: Rutgers University Press, 2010), pp. 179-194. ISBN 9780813547046.
– ‘Domestic queens and warrior wives: heroines in Spanish schoolbooks for girls (1940-1960)’, in Women and Education. Major Themes in Education II, ed. by Jane Martin and Joyce Goodman (London: Routledge, 2010). ISBN 9780415549394.
– ‘Domestic queens and warrior wives: imperial role-models for Spanish schoolgirls during the early Francoist regime (1940s-50s)’, History of Education 37 (2) (2008), 277-293. ISSN 0046-760X.
– ‘Death and the adorable orphan: Marcelino pan y vino (1954; 1991; 2000)’, Journal of Romance Studies 4 (1) (2004), 63-77. ISSN 1473-3536.
– ‘From maternal instinct to material girl: the doll in postwar Spain (1940s – 50s)’, Journal of Romance Studies 2 (2) (2002), 21-36. ISSN 1473-3536.
– ‘Good girls go to heaven: the Venerable Mari Carmen Gonzàlez-Valerio y Sàenz de Heredia (1930 – 1939)’, in Constructing identity in contemporary Spain: theoretical debates and cultural practice, ed. by Jo Labanyi (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002), pp. 113-127. ISBN 0 19 815993 5.